Ramu Subbramanian, Ph.D.
Director of Translational Medicine and Diagnostics
Personal StatementImmune monitoring of vaccines and immunotherapeutics has been the focus of my career spanning roles in academia, international consultancy, the public-sector, biotech/pharma-driven clinical trials, translational studies, and diagnostic platforms.
Strategic immune monitoring across GxP- and CLIA compliant environments constitutes my primary interest and my portfolio includes multiple translational, preclinical and multicenter clinical trials spanning Pandemic- and Seasonal Influenza, HIV, SARS, Pneumo- and Meningococcus, Pox, Covid-19, RSV, and PIV, among others.
Education and Training
- B.A. Distinction in Research, University of Rochester, NY, U.S.A.
- Ph.D. Microbiology & Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, PQ, Canada.
- Research Fellow in Medicine, BIDMC, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, U.S.A.
- Ramachandran H, Laux J, Moldovan I, Caspell R, Lehmann PV, and Subbramanian RA. Optimal thawing of cryopreserved peripheral blood mononuclear cells for use in high-throughput human immune monitoring studies. Cells (2012): 1, 313-324.
- Zhang W, Moldovan I, Targoni OS, Subbramanian RA and Lehmann PV. How much of virus-specific CD8 T cell reactivity is detected with a peptide pool when compared to Individual peptides? Viruses (2012): 4, 2636-2649.
- Kuerten S, Batoulis H, Recks MS, Karacsony E, Zhang W et al. Resting of cryopreserved PBMC does not generally benefit the performance of antigen-specific T cell ELISPOT assays. Cells (2012): 1, 409-427.
- Manke YD, Saqr A, Hazenfeld S, Brady RC, Roederer M and Subbramanian RA. Age-related changes in durability and function of vaccine-elicited influenza-specific CD4+ T cell responses. Vaccine (2011): 47, 8606-14.
- Basha S, Hazenfeld S, Brady R.C and Subbramanian RA. Comparison of antibody and T cell responses elicited by licensed inactivated- and live-attenuated influenza vaccines against H3N2 hemagglutinin. Hum Immunology (2011): 72, 463-9
- Subbramanian RA, Basha S, Shata MT, Brady RC and Bernstein DI. Pandemic and seasonal H1N1 influenza hemagglutinin-specific T cell responses elicited by seasonal influenza vaccination. Vaccine. (2010): 28, 8258-67.
- Subbramanian RA, Basha SS, Brady RC, Hazenfeld S, Shata MT and Bernstein DI. Age-related changes in magnitude and diversity of cross-reactive CD4+ T cell responses to the novel pandemic H1N1 influenza hemagglutinin. Hum Immunol. (2010): 71, 957-63.
- Sen P, Charini WA, Subbramanian RA, Manuel ER, Kuroda MJ, Autissier PA, et al. Clonal focusing of epitope-specific CD8+ T lymphocytes in rhesus monkeys following vaccination and simian-human immunodeficiency virus challenge. J Virol. (2008): 82, 805-16.
- Hasegawa A, Moriya C, Liu H, Charini WA, Vinet HC, Subbramanian RA et al. Analysis of TCR alpha-beta combinations used by simian immunodeficiency virus-specific CD8+ T cells in rhesus monkeys: implications for CTL immunodominance. J Immunol. (2007): 178, 3409-17.
- Subbramanian RA, Charini WA, Kuroda MJ, Seman M et al., Expansion following epitope peptide exposure in vitro predicts CTL epitope dominance hierarchy in lymphocytes of vaccinated Mamu-A*01+ rhesus monkeys. AIDS Res. Hum. Retroviruses (2006): 22, 445-52.
- Sun Y, Schmitz JE, Acierno PM, Santra S, Subbramanian RA et al. Dysfunction of simian immunodeficiency virus/simian human immunodeficiency virus-induced IL-2 expression by central memory CD4+ T lymphocytes. J Immunol. (2005): 174, 4753-60.
- Subbramanian RA, Chikaya M, Martin KL, Peyerl FW et al, Engineered T-cell receptor tetramers bind MHC-peptide complexes with high affinity. Nature Biotechnol. (2004): 22, 1429-34.
- Subbramanian RA, Kuroda MJ, Charini WA, Barouch DH, Costantino C, et al. Magnitude and diversity of cytotoxic T-Lymphocyte responses elicited by multiepitope DNA vaccination in rhesus monkeys. J Virol, (2003): 77, 10113-10118.
- Subbramanian RA, Xu J, Toma E, Morisset R, Cohen EA, Menezes J, Ahmad A.J Comparison of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-specific infection-enhancing and -inhibiting antibodies in AIDS patients. J Clin Microbiol. (2002): 40, 2141-6.
- Baig J, Levy DB, McKay PF, Schmitz JE, Santra S, Subbramanian RA., et al. Elicitation of simian immunodeficiency virus-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes in mucosal compartments of rhesus monkeys by systemic vaccination. J Virol (2002): 76, 11484-90
- Subbramanian RA, Kessous-Elbaz A, Lodge R, Forget J, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Vpr is a positive regulator of viral transcription and infectivity in primary human macrophages. J Exp Med. (1998): 187, 1103-11.
- Subbramanian RA, Yao XJ, Dilhuydy H, Rougeau N, Bergeron D, Robitaille Y, Cohen EA. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Vpr localization: nuclear transport of a viral protein modulated by a putative amphipathic helical structure and its relevance to biological activity. J Mol Biol. (1998): 278, 13-30.
- Felzien LK, Woffendin C, Hottiger MO, Subbramanian RA, Cohen EA, Nabel GJ. HIV transcriptional activation by the accessory protein, VPR, is mediated by the p300 co-activator. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. (1998): 95, 5281-6.
- Lodge R, Subbramanian RA, Forget J, Lemay G, Cohen EA. MuLV-based vectors pseudotyped with truncated HIV glycoproteins mediate specific gene transfer in CD4+ peripheral blood lymphocytes. Gene Ther. (1998): 5, 655-64.
- Yao XJ, Mouland AJ, Subbramanian RA, Forget J, Rougeau N, et al. Vpr stimulates viral expression and induces cell killing in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected dividing Jurkat T cells. J Virol. (1998): 72, 4686-93.
- Nie Z, Bergeron D, Subbramanian RA, Yao XJ, et al. The putative alpha helix 2 of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Vpr contains a determinant which is responsible for the nuclear translocation of proviral DNA in growth-arrested cells. J Virol. (1998): 72, 4104-15.
- Cohen EA, Subbramanian RA, Gottlinger HG. Role of auxiliary proteins in retroviral morphogenesis. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. (1996): 214, 219-35.
- Yao XJ, Subbramanian RA, Rougeau N, Boisvert F, Bergeron D, and Cohen EA. Mutagenic analysis of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 vpr: role of a predicted N-terminal alpha-helical structure in Vpr nuclear localization and virion incorporation. J Virol. (1995): 69, 7032-7044.
- Subbramanian RA and Cohen EA. Molecular Biology of the human immunodeficiency virus accessory proteins. J Virol. (1994): 68, 6831-5.
- Bidlack JM, Kaplan RA, Subbramanian RA, Seyed Mozaffari A, Archer S. Affinity labeling of the mu opioid receptor in bovine striatal membranes with [3H] -14 beta-(bromoacetamido)-7, 8-dihydromorphine. Biochemistry (1993): 32, 6703-11.